Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Heartfelt Prayers of a Little One

I love the prayers of children. They are so honest. They don't sensor their thoughts or hide their fears. They don't aim to impress nor do they worry about their vocabulary or what people might think. It is the prayers of my own children that moves me to consider that which I might otherwise filter in my conversations with God. Below is one of the recent dinner time prayers of my youngest son. There was no question where his thoughts were "in the moment"!

“Dear God,

Thank you for my mommy and my daddy and Bay, and my whole family. That you for roses and flowers. Thank you for hot dogs and strawberries. Thank you for ketchup and for You. Thank you for the letter “z”, which is my favorite letter. Thank you for all the letters. Thank you for fans and for forks. In Jesus Name We Pray, Amen.”


I smiled throughout, which must have tickled him pink (or red, since that is his current favorite color), as I know his eyes are wide open the duration of his prayer. I can practically "hear" his eyes bouncing to and fro around the room as he decides what else he is thankful for in that moment. I can't honestly say that I can recall the last time I thanked God for hot dogs, strawberries, ketchup, or forks. But I am thankful for a little five year old boy who never stops teaching his mother that we always have something to be thankful for.

Thanking God for You, my children with heartfelt prayers, forks, and so much more,



post signature

No comments: