Monday, January 23, 2012

ONE OF GOD'S GREATEST GIFTS

In my estimation, I would have to say that friendship is one of God's greatest gifts. I just spend an extended weekend with a long time friend and it just felt like new life was breathed into me! It was comfortable and easy.  No expectations.  I didn't even have anything specific planned for her visit, some ideas, but nothing scheduled (which is a good thing because during our lunch on Friday I bit down into my delicious club sandwich only to have my molar cave it and result in several hours in the dentist's office for 2 emergency root canals and crowns!!) Definitely not something I had scheduled (or desired!!) but we rode that wave and the boys got some good quality time with her as a result!

As early as Genesis 2:18  The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." (NIV)  God knew from the beginning of time that friendship, companionship was crucial for our existence.  The rapid proliferation of social media attests to our craving for social interaction, whether it be in person  or through text messaging, email, skype, telephone, etc.

Time spent with a friend is so powerful.  It can change our perspective, our mood, our attitude.  The Bible tells us that man was created in God's own image, having the very likeness of God (Genesis 1:27).  I believe this likeness extends across many facets.  Just as we in human flesh need companionship, so too does God. In fact, God created man for God's companionship.  He craves time spent with us. And in His word, He promises never to leave us (1 Kings 8:57).  At all times, but especially those when we are in need of a friend, we can count on Him to be there for us, as He promises in Proverbs 18:24 "...there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."

For God's faithfulness, and for His gift of friendship, I am grateful.
I am grateful for YOU, dear friend!

Be Blessed,


post signature

1 comment:

Gena said...

Thank you, Michelle, for sharing your thoughts. I recently have met up with an old friend from college. We were able to laugh and just have a good time without any expectations. It was so refreshing!

I had never thought of God as craving our companionship, but we are made in His likeness, so it certainly makes sense. Thank you for "planting that seed".